Friday, January 31, 2014

“Get Thee to a Nunnery . . .”: My Experience at a Women’s College

On the College Goals blog is a blog post written by Sydney Penny, Mount Holyoke ’12, and I encourage you to read it in its entirety.

Highlights from Sydney’s blog post include:

“My college search, no doubt, resembled that of many of you reading this. A couple “safeties”, a “reach”, and the ones where I had a fighting chance. Good schools, with attractive campuses, dependable financial aid, etc.

Fast-forward a few months, and I’d been waitlisted at Georgetown, Dartmouth and Brown and accepted to three of my eight schools . . . all of them women’s colleges. All of them wonderful places, but I had applied in spite of the gender specifications. Going past the obvious problems it could pose for dating, I had always enjoyed close friendships with boys and my brother, so four years in such a decidedly female environment was not something I was very excited about. Thankfully, the past few years have changed my mind.”

. . . “As far as I’ve been able to make out, the goal of every women’s college is to give you the self confidence and spine to succeed, and if they can provide a rugby team or lab facilities or an excellent library along the way, that’s even better.”


Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment