In addition to top-notch academics and empowering learning environments, colleges for women provide their students with lots of opportunity, including getting hands-on research experience.
In my recent Huffington Post blog post, I blogged about the summer internships STEM students from various women’s colleges are enjoying. Below is one of the student stories.
Mariem Ayadi '16 is an engineering and computer science major at Smith College, Northampton, MA.
Photo Credit: The Database Systems and Information Management (DIMA) Technische Universität Berlin
Photo Caption: After two consecutive internships at KAYAK software, Mariem's interest in computer science has grown tremendously. This summer, she decided to try out the research field. Thanks to the Smith College PRAXIS grant, Mariem is currently in Berlin, Germany. Smith College's Praxis program provides an opportunity for every Smith student to undertake an internship funded by the college. She joined the Database Systems and Information Management (DIMA) group at the Technical University of Berlin. Mariem is working among the Stratophere (soon to be renamed Flink) team. The project is an open source big data analytics platform that recently joined the Apache Software Foundation. In the beginning of June, thanks to the Google for Education, Women in Tech Conference and Travel Grants, Mariem was offered the opportunity to attend DevoxxUK, a major Java programming conference in London.
Other student summer STEM internships referenced in my blog post include:
- Lia Poulos '16 -- a physics and computer science major at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
- Kate Bussey '15 -- a chemistry major at Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN
- Casandra Conigliaro '15 -- a mathematics major at Alverno College, Milwaukee, WI
- Shacora Rorie '16 -- a biology major at Bennett College, Greensboro, NC
- Caitlin Kent '15 -- a biology and chemistry major at the University of Saint Joseph, West Hartford, CT
- Paige Atkins '15 -- a biology major at Brenau University Women's College, Gainesville, GA
- Najja Ellis '15 -- a mathematics and electrical engineering major at Spelman College, Atlanta, GA
- Rebecca Rubinstein '15 -- a biology and Spanish major at Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
- Mary Kate Hussey '15 -- a chemistry major at Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, IN
- Lorita Agu '15 -- a biochemistry major at Converse College, Spartanburg, SC
- Ning Xie '15 -- a computer science major at Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
- Mackenzie Beyer '15 -- a chemistry and forensic science major at Cedar Crest College, Allentown, PA
- Tinodaishe Antoinette Mandebvu '16 -- a biochemistry major and business administration minor at St. Catherine University, St. Paul, MN
- Brittany Dunkerly '15 -- a biology major at Notre Dame of Maryland University, Baltimore, MD