Thursday, March 13, 2014

Women's Colleges Provide Empowering Learning Environments

The biggest advantage (and often overlooked) of attending a women's college is the empowering learning environment. This is so important to consider when researching colleges.

Today, I'm sharing an insightful article written by a 2010 graduate of a women’s college, Abbey Stone: "Why Women's Colleges Still Matter, and Attending Barnard Was the Best Decision I Ever Made."

Article highlights:


"I attended Barnard College, the women’s college affiliated with Columbia University, from 2006-2010. And during that time, I learned to trust my instincts, value my intelligence and refuse to be silenced. Before Sheryl Sandberg coined the term “lean in” in her 2010 TED Talk (and reiterated its importance in her commencement address to Barnard’s class of 2011) my friends and fellow students were living it. I was surrounded not only by thousands of challenging, engaging, and inspiring peers, but also by powerful women leaders (65 percent of Barnard’s faculty is female, compared with 38 percent of college faculty nationally). It was impossible not to feel empowered."

Continue reading here.

To learn more about Barnard College, visit their Web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment