Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Women’s Colleges: Empowering Women for Success

As a women’s college alumna and advocate I love reading articles about women’s colleges. This time the story is about NJ-based Douglass College; “Douglass Residential College sets up women for success” written by Staff Writer, Cheryl Makin.

And since I’m into STEM, below is the part I liked best:

For molecular biology and biochemistry major Ameema Zubairi, of East Brunswick, a Douglass woman "is a woman with a drive for success, however one wants to define it for themselves, and passion to change the world in a positive way, and by doing so, becoming a leader and inspiring others to do the same."

Since her matriculation at Douglass, Zubairi, who also is double minoring in chemistry and mathematics, credits the college with helping to mold her into the woman she is today. She recalled stepping onto the Douglass campus "hoping to stumble upon some motivation and inspiration."


"When I look back at my first year at Rutgers as a Douglass woman, I realize how fortunate I was to have a community of women supporting me in my endeavors," she said. "As a student, I not only gained the confidence and courage to challenge myself through my coursework, but I was motivated to make the most out of all of the opportunities available to me through Douglass."


Legacy Jennie Coulter, a sophomore majoring in physics, was no stranger to Douglass and its offerings because her mother graduated from Douglass, and had "always treasured her time there."


"Douglass has a unique ability to connect students with like-minded individuals that they would have never found otherwise, and in this way really builds an indispensable sense of community," said Coulter, who lives in Manasquan. "Douglass has given me opportunities to explore my academic and leadership abilities in a way that I might not have otherwise."


And since you don’t have to have an interest in STEM to attend Douglass, I encourage you to read the article in its entirety, here.

Plus it’s nice to see local journalists taking an interest in women’s colleges. Thanks Cheryl Makin!

No comments:

Post a Comment